Farro is a type of wheat and is a great replacement for some rice and pasta dishes. It has a nutty flavor and can be mostly compared to brown rice. It has a little bit of a crunch to it and can add substance to ordinary salads and soups. Don’t be scared to exchange some ingredients for some of your favorite ones. Would love to know what surprises you put in your Farro Salad. Last week I made the same recipe and decided to add Feta cheese! Fantastic!
NOTE: You may have noticed that I have calculated the PointsPlus value for this recipe. I work for a company that encourages healthy living. Between all the free exercise classes and Weight Watchers, this is a new and great opportunity for me to enjoy the foods I love to eat but in moderation and I’m learning to take advantage of lots of their “free” and “power” foods. Now my goal is to share this journey with you.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Yields: 6 servings
PointsPlus Value: 5 (NEW)******* (see note below)
- 1 cup farro
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small carrot, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup red kidney beans (optional – you can substitute with black beans), drained
- 1-1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ½ Pink Lady apple, washed and diced, (skin on optional)
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place farro, cranberries and water in sauce pan over medium heat and bring to boil. Lower heat and cook for 25 minutes, covering pan mostly. Drain the farro and cranberries and reserve water. Use the reserved water to cook the carrots, celery and sweet potatoes for approximately 10 minutes (until the sweet potatoes are slightly tender). Keep a small pot of water boiled in case you need to add water to complete cooking the vegetables. Strain the carrots, celery and sweet potatoes and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, incorporate the farro, vegetables, and apples plus the beans and kalamata olives with vinegar and oil. Gently mix.